Today, image means everything, most importantly for women. Daily we are reminded of how we should look and are compared to the next Kim Kardashian or Angelina Jolie. These societal norms have created a stigma for woman to feel comfortable about the way they age. The consideration to remove a wrinkle or improve a simple stretch mark crosses our minds daily, maybe even hourly once we look in a mirror or get ready for a special occasion. In the past, we have trusted beauty industry remedies and every over-the-counter product we can get out hands on to get rid of everything from cellulite to crows- feet. No matter the special serum, new formula, or solution these preparations don’t do the trick, and disappoint to give us that instant gratification we are all looking for. But now you can take a quick trip to your local dermatologist or med spa and get any sort of beauty makeover. Most are getting a simple injection on their lunch breaks, unwanted leg hair removed on the way home from work, or a simple lipo procedure on a ‘personal day’ off from work. The accessibility and on demand results are a miracle, but before you let someone start poking your face with needles, and or sucking the fat out of your love handles, you need to make sure you are choosing the right place.
A medical spa is a cross between a medical clinic and a day spa that operates under the supervision of medical physician together with trained and certified estheticians. Medical spas tend to have more of a clinical atmosphere than that of a day spa, but many offer the same relaxing services like massages or body treatments. The competitive set for these med spas are high, and seem also most too good to be true. Therefore it is essential when considering these non-surgical cosmetic treatments, picking the right medical spa is important.
Here are our top 10 tips.
1. Selection: It is important to understand which medispa is better at one technique than the other. There are clinical specialists behind every botox injection, every specialty laser, and every skin procedure. Ask around, read reviews, make consultations at several spas to get a feel for what you are having done. Thereafter make the best decision as to which facility you have interviewed to be the most comfortable, knowledgeable, and satisfying in what you are having done. For example, one medispa may have the latest laser for shrinking collagen, while another has the best estheticians for injectables. Each medical spa offers unique procedures and skin care treatments. Do your research and check out their “menu” beforehand to be sure they offer the treatment you are looking for.
2. Experience: Select a medical spa that has noteworthy experience in administering the treatment you are pursuing. This can be demonstrated through special certifications, awards or gaining experience over a long period. Experienced staff can deliver the results you are looking for.
3. Testimonials: Before opting for any cosmetic treatment, you should always ask to see other patient results. A notable medical spa will be willing to provide you with before and after images. Furthermore, ask around, and seek testimonials from others who have experienced the medispa you are interested in.
4.Staff: Aim to find a medical spa with a board-certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic trained medical physician as part of their clinical staff. These providers have gone through extensive training, and certification in the cosmetic field to become board-certified. Additionally, be sure that they have other certified staff members such as nurses and aestheticians. These professionals have extensive training and licensing. Once knowing these variables, you can be sure that you will have a safe experience with beautiful results.
5. Comfort: Your comfort and safety should always be the number one priority. The right medical spa should offer an initial consultation and explanation of the services you are receiving. Ask to speak with the provider that will be conducting your requested service, get to know their technique, and be sure to ask many questions. This way at the time of procedure there are no second guesses and you are happy with your beauty decision.
6. Preparation: When choosing your service or procedure learn how to be prepared. When preparing your medispa technique that best fits your beauty need you are aware of pain, length of treatment results, follow up care, and clinical side effects. A smart patient is realistic of what the procedure is, and the end results. A good patient is one that is prepared and ready for the best outcome.
7. Knowledge: There are several hundred different laser machines and skin care lines. The cost for most of the treatments med spas provide can be pricey, mainly because the equipment they use is expensive. With the technology in the medical field constantly changing, it is important to make sure they are only using the latest and greatest equipment depending on your specific treatment. For instance, the Cutera Lasers, may be known for laser hair removal and vascular depigmentation procedures. While the InMode Aesthetic solutions are rare to find due to demand, and the ability to have multiple lasers in one device, therefore, the patient may be able to have multiple non- surgical procedures in one facility. According to leJolie Spa in Los Angeles, the InMode lasers use radio frequency current flows to stimulates the formation of collagen in the skin, improving skin elasticity and tighten in a way most see in a full plastic surgery invasive procedure. Having knowledge of these variant machines will make decisions easier and faster.
8. Convenience: Finding the medispa that is most convenient for you cuts half of your battles. There is nothing wrong with going to one medispa than the other. According to Heather Betts of Revive Rx in Covina, California “Our patients come to our medispa not just for the cosmetic benefits, but for our wellness advances”. Most medispas offer beautifying treatments, but some offer IV Hydration services, and weight loss counseling. Understanding the convenience between using a medispa for what is needed for your beauty regimen makes all the money and visits worth it.